SMSF practitioners have been urged to get the paperwork for pension commutations completed before 30 June 2017, with many still under the false assumption they have till the end of December.
Cooper Grace Ward partner Scott Hay-Bartlem said while the ATO outlined in Practical Compliance Guideline (PCG) 2017/5 that a pension doesn’t physically need to be commuted before 1 July, the paperwork for the commutation request, on the other hand, does need to be done before then.
“I think a lot of advisers are still confused about the fact you need to have your commutation happening at the end of June and have the documentation in place,” Mr Hay-Bartlem said.
“I’ve got people telling me they’ve got till 31 December 2017, which is actually not the global rule.”
Mr Hay-Bartlem said SMSF practitioners need to make sure their commutation paperwork is in place, journals and accounting entries are sorted, and everything is tidied up before the end of 30 June.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 21 Aug 2016Risks flagged with real estate appraisal valuesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 21 Aug 2016Lawyer challenges ATO view on two fund strategiesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017ATO locks in details, addresses panic on real-time reportingBy Katarina Taurian
- 18 Aug 2017Data feeds unreliable for new reporting, says mid-tierBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017Tax component confusion spurs potential tax liabilitiesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017Contributions triple in June quarter, survey showsBy Staff Reporter
- view all
- ATO locks in details, addresses panic on real-time reporting
The tax office has addressed several points of confusion with the new events-based reporting regime, locked in key deadlines, and outlined w...read more
- Data feeds unreliable for new reporting, says mid-tier
With an estimated 20 per cent of SMSFs still encountering errors from data feeds, one mid-tier firm believes the ATO should allow SMSF pract...read more
- view all