The APRA statistics for December 2016 show total superannuation assets rose by 7.4 per cent over the 2016 calendar year.
In its Quarterly Superannuation Performance report, APRA said total superannuation assets rose by $152.1 billion over 2016, up to $2,198.5 billion.
Total SMSF assets accounted for $653.8 billion of total superannuation assets, or 29.7 per cent.
SMSF assets increased at 8.3 per cent or $50 billion, which was above the overall growth rate of superannuation assets.
The APRA regulated super funds increased their total superannuation assets by 8.8 per cent from $1,257.0 billion at the end of December 2015 to $1,367.3 billion in December 2016.
The APRA-regulated super funds increased their superannuation market share slightly, with the proportion of assets in APRA funds accounting for 62.19 per cent at the end of 2016, up from 61.4 per cent.
SMSFs also increased their proportion of superannuation assets also very slightly, from 29.51 per cent in 2015 to 29.74 per cent in 2016.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 21 Aug 2016Risks flagged with real estate appraisal valuesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 21 Aug 2016Lawyer challenges ATO view on two fund strategiesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017ATO locks in details, addresses panic on real-time reportingBy Katarina Taurian
- 18 Aug 2017Data feeds unreliable for new reporting, says mid-tierBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017Tax component confusion spurs potential tax liabilitiesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017Contributions triple in June quarter, survey showsBy Staff Reporter
- view all
- ATO locks in details, addresses panic on real-time reporting
The tax office has addressed several points of confusion with the new events-based reporting regime, locked in key deadlines, and outlined w...read more
- Data feeds unreliable for new reporting, says mid-tier
With an estimated 20 per cent of SMSFs still encountering errors from data feeds, one mid-tier firm believes the ATO should allow SMSF pract...read more
- view all