For SMSFs that are completely in the pension phase currently, there may not be accurate CGT information in relation to their super fund, which SMSF practitioners and trustees will need to retrieve, cautions an SMSF auditor.
Speaking to SMSF Adviser, BDO national leader or superannuation Shirley Schaefer said up until the recent reforms, when a fund was fully in pension phase, everything was tax free, so there was less concern about keeping cost base information about assets.
“Practitioners might have gotten a little blasé or not giving it due attention because it hasn’t been necessary to keep it in the past. But it could be vital now with the potential resetting of cost bases, and for trustees to work out whether they should or shouldn’t reset a cost base they actually need to work out what it was,” explained Ms Schaefer.
This can be particularly difficult if clients have changed accountants and the new accountant hasn’t been able to get hold of the original genuine cost base information.
“When it was entered into systems it may have been a case of well the fund is fully in pension phase, we’ll just put it down as a cost base, we don’t need to know when it was acquired etc. Clearly that’s more important now,” she said.
While there are a lot of accountants who do have this information anyway, there is a risk records may “not be up to scratch and clients could be disadvantaged on that basis”.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 26 Sep 2017ATO set to add new items to SMSF watch listBy Katarina Taurian
- 26 Sep 2017ATO tipped to scrutinise property development and unit trustsBy Jotham Lian
- 26 Sep 2017Statistics reveal full impact of events-based reportingBy Staff Reporter
- 26 Sep 2017Tax advice exemption discrepancy driving away accountantsBy Jotham Lian
- 26 Sep 2017Consultant flags strategies to negate complex ECPI calculationsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 25 Sep 2017Survey results point to major concerns with new reportingBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- ATO tipped to scrutinise property development and unit trusts
One big four accounting firm says the ATO has started to zoom in on property development in unit trusts being held in SMSFs and the calculat...read more
- Statistics reveal full impact of events-based reporting
Analysis conducted by SMSF software provider BGL Corporate Solutions has indicated that around 290,000 SMSFs will be affected by the events-...read more
- Tax advice exemption discrepancy driving away accountants
A discrepancy in ASIC’s treatment of licensed and unlicensed accountants in relation to the tax advice exemption instrument is driving acc...read more
- view all