The latest round of ATO quarterly SMSF statistics reveal the total number of SMSFs increased 5 per cent in the 12 months to 30 June, following a boost in net establishments.
The SMSF June 2016 quarterly statistical report revealed there was an approximate increase of 30,000 SMSFs to the total numbers of SMSFs, or a rise of 5.5 per cent.
Wind-ups were considerably lower compared with the previous year, with just 1,416 SMSFs being wound up over the 12 months to 30 June, compared with 11,136 wound up in the previous year.
The ATO noted that quarterly establishments and wind-ups can be understated because of the time lag between the event and the notification received by the fund.
The total net Australian and overseas assets across all SMSFs now represents $599.07 billion, according to the data.
The report also revealed that the total number of SMSF members now stands at 1,087,841, while the total number of SMSFs is 577,236.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 21 Aug 2016Risks flagged with real estate appraisal valuesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 21 Aug 2016Lawyer challenges ATO view on two fund strategiesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017ATO locks in details, addresses panic on real-time reportingBy Katarina Taurian
- 18 Aug 2017Data feeds unreliable for new reporting, says mid-tierBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017Tax component confusion spurs potential tax liabilitiesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017Contributions triple in June quarter, survey showsBy Staff Reporter
- view all
- ATO locks in details, addresses panic on real-time reporting
The tax office has addressed several points of confusion with the new events-based reporting regime, locked in key deadlines, and outlined w...read more
- Data feeds unreliable for new reporting, says mid-tier
With an estimated 20 per cent of SMSFs still encountering errors from data feeds, one mid-tier firm believes the ATO should allow SMSF pract...read more
- view all