The ATO has reminded SMSF auditors about their reporting obligations to the tax office, even once an engagement is terminated.
In a recent announcement, the ATO stated it is aware that some trustees and their professional advisers have terminated an auditor engagement when the auditor raised issues or concerns, and have subsequently appointed a different auditor.
“An auditor’s obligation to report to us exists whether they complete the audit engagement or not. Even if they are removed from an engagement, they are still required to report identified contraventions,” the ATO stated.
“Auditors can also report any additional information they believe is relevant. We encourage auditors to advise us if they believe they were removed from an engagement because they raised an issue or concern with the trustees."
The ATO also encouraged trustees to work with their auditors to understand how contraventions occurred and how to rectify the situation.
“It is better to work with your auditor when an issue is identified rather than try to cover it up or ignore it,” the ATO told trustees.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 21 Aug 2016Risks flagged with real estate appraisal valuesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 21 Aug 2016Lawyer challenges ATO view on two fund strategiesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017ATO locks in details, addresses panic on real-time reportingBy Katarina Taurian
- 18 Aug 2017Data feeds unreliable for new reporting, says mid-tierBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017Tax component confusion spurs potential tax liabilitiesBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Aug 2017Contributions triple in June quarter, survey showsBy Staff Reporter
- view all
- ATO locks in details, addresses panic on real-time reporting
The tax office has addressed several points of confusion with the new events-based reporting regime, locked in key deadlines, and outlined w...read more
- Data feeds unreliable for new reporting, says mid-tier
With an estimated 20 per cent of SMSFs still encountering errors from data feeds, one mid-tier firm believes the ATO should allow SMSF pract...read more
- view all