A leading financial services lawyer has expressed concern over ASIC’s involvement with the SMSF industry at a time when many advisers believe the sector is becoming overregulated.
Rockwell Olivier managing principal Peter Bobbin told SMSF Adviser that ASIC’s recent foray into the SMSF market is an industry concern.
“ASIC has jumped on board because [the] industry, curiously enough, has been demanding that they get on board so as to address property spruikers, but ASIC has clearly decided to not stop there and is going a bit further,” Mr Bobbin said.
“It is starting to agitate financial services professionals as to what exactly ASIC is doing and where it is going.”
In a recent SMSF Adviser straw poll, a vast majority of respondents indicated they believe the SMSF sector is at risk of becoming overregulated.
The Institute of Public Accountants’ executive general manager, Vicki Stylianou, previously told SMSF Adviser there has been overregulation in the SMSF space this year, with some “arbitrary lines drawn”, particularly in relation to auditor registration.
“The regulatory [pendulum] has gone too much towards overregulating the profession rather than trying to strike a decent balance,” Ms Stylianou said.
With the continued growth of the SMSF sector, Ms Stylianou predicts greater attention from ASIC in 2014.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 22 May 2017ATO sheds light on LRBA reporting requirementsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 22 May 2017Software provider releases super reform-focused servicesBy Jotham Lian
- 22 May 2017ATO poised to ramp up focus on key compliance areaBy Katarina Taurian
- 22 May 2017Caution advised on ATO’s new super balance toolBy Katarina Taurian
- 19 May 2017SMSF real-time reporting slated for FY2018-19By Miranda Brownlee and Katarina Taurian
- 19 May 2017Lawyer points to benefits of AFCA for SMSFsBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- Software provider releases super reform-focused services
BGL has announced the release of services, designed to deal with the 2016-17 superannuation reforms, that will help clients tackle the new C...read more
- ATO poised to ramp up focus on key compliance area
With 8 per cent of funds failing to meet their lodgement obligations for the last two years at least, the ATO is set to up its compliance fo...read more
- view all