The latest ATO figures indicate APRA-regulated funds are still experiencing considerable leakage from their funds to SMSFs says the SMSF Professionals' Association of Australia.
SPAA director of technical and professional standards Graeme Colley said statistics from the ATO show that in the five years to 30 June 2013, $75.6 billion was rolled into SMSFs and only $19.9 billion was rolled out of SMSFs.
“On an annual basis, $15.1 billion rolled into SMSFs and $4 billion rolled out of SMSFs,” he said.
“These numbers hardly suggest an SMSF sector in decline or even treading water – indeed, what they comprehensively show is that SMSFs retain their strong appeal.”
Mr Colley said the ATO figures also show SMSFs fulfilling their role in providing retirement incomes and meeting the government policy objectives of superannuation.
“In the 2009 financial year, income streams amounted to 75.7 per cent of all benefit payments from SMSFs, of which Transition to Retirement Income Streams (TRIS) amounted to 9.1 per cent of total payments,” said Mr Colley.
“By the 2013 financial year the proportion of income streams paid from SMSFs had increased to 93.2 per cent, of which 11.4 per cent were TRIS and just 6.8 per cent were lump sums, compared with 13.8 per cent of lump sums in the 2009 financial year.”
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 17 Aug 2017Industry questions ATO’s capacity for new reportingBy Miranda Brownlee
- 17 Aug 2017Qld succession law changes tipped to impact SMSFsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 16 Aug 2017Contribution limits restricting future balances, warns mid-tierBy Staff Reporter
- 16 Aug 2017SMSF firms underprepared for events-based reportingBy Miranda Brownlee
- 15 Aug 2017SMSF auditor disqualified for misconductBy Staff Reporter
- 15 Aug 2017Class gains market share in financial year resultsBy Staff Reporter
- view all
- Industry questions ATO’s capacity for new reporting
With events-based reporting set to generate huge amounts of data, concerns have been raised about whether the ATO’s systems will be able t...read more
- Contribution limits restricting future balances, warns mid-tier
Clients hoping to accumulate a superannuation balance of $1.6 million by age 65 will need to start taking full advantage of concessional con...read more
- SMSF firms underprepared for events-based reporting
A straw poll has revealed that the majority of SMSF firms currently feel their firm is not equipped to deal with the proposed events-based r...read more
- view all