The ATO has identified over 37,000 SMSF members who have ATO-held super, according to a statement released last week.
ATO-held super includes amounts paid to the ATO by employers, super funds or the government on a member’s behalf. The ATO holds this money if it has been unable to find a super account to transfer the money to.
“We have identified over 37,000 SMSF members who have super amounts totalling over $19.1 million, which we are holding,” the ATO stated.
SMSF members can have ATO-held super amounts transferred to their SMSF, or they can withdraw these amounts if they qualify, the ATO stated.
“We encourage all SMSF members to use our online portal to search for any ATO-held super that we may be holding [on their] behalf,” the ATO said.
“This may save [members] money, avoid unnecessary fees and give [members’] retirement savings a significant boost.”
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 20 Sep 2017‘Execution only’ approach with SMSFs high-risk for accountantsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 20 Sep 2017Super saver scheme to benefit wealthy, says consultantBy Miranda Brownlee
- 19 Sep 2017Government rules out tax cut for family trustsBy Lara Bullock
- 19 Sep 2017Government likely to review licensing regime, consultant predictsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 18 Sep 2017Sluggish wage growth ‘undermining super savings’By Lucy Dean
- 18 Sep 2017SMSFs facing weaker investment outlook, report revealsBy Staff Reporter
- view all
- ‘Execution only’ approach with SMSFs high-risk for accountants
An industry lawyer has warned the unlicensed accounting firms recently contacted by ASIC that justifying the provision of services without a...read more
- Super saver scheme to benefit wealthy, says consultant
One consultant expects that wealthy Australians will gain the most advantage from the First Home Super Saver Scheme while the overall take-u...read more
- Government likely to review licensing regime, consultant predicts
Given the ongoing cost and complexity of the licensing regime for accountants, one consultant believes the government may have to review and...read more
- view all