An increasing proportion of accountants are citing issues related to value proposition as a key challenge in servicing SMSFs, new research has found.
According to the OneVue and Investment Trends 2014 SMSF Accountant Report, which surveyed 1,289 accountants, 37 per cent of accountants cite issues relating to value proposition when asked to outline the single biggest challenge in servicing SMSFs, up from 29 per cent in 2013.
Accountants also noted educating clients and competitive pricing and fee recovery as challenges in servicing SMSFs.
The research also found an extra 35,000 SMSFs started using a specialist provider in the past 12 months.
“Last year it was estimated that 115,000 SMSF trustees utilised the services of SMSF administrators,” OneVue head of platform strategy, sales and service, David Storm said.
“This year there’s been a 30 per cent increase, with SMSFs indicating the key reasons are ease of use, low cost and admin efficiency.”
While 57 per cent of accountants surveyed said investment platforms are appropriate to manage client portfolios, cost remains an “overwhelming” barrier to further use of investment platforms for SMSFs.
Other reasons barriers include conflict of interest from financial planners and loss of investment control, the research stated.
In addition, accountants are increasingly considering changing software providers, with 13 per cent of those interested in doing so thinking of progressing to a cloud-based product, the research found.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 26 Sep 2017ATO set to add new items to SMSF watch listBy Katarina Taurian
- 26 Sep 2017ATO tipped to scrutinise property development and unit trustsBy Jotham Lian
- 26 Sep 2017Statistics reveal full impact of events-based reportingBy Staff Reporter
- 26 Sep 2017Tax advice exemption discrepancy driving away accountantsBy Jotham Lian
- 26 Sep 2017Consultant flags strategies to negate complex ECPI calculationsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 25 Sep 2017Survey results point to major concerns with new reportingBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- ATO tipped to scrutinise property development and unit trusts
One big four accounting firm says the ATO has started to zoom in on property development in unit trusts being held in SMSFs and the calculat...read more
- Statistics reveal full impact of events-based reporting
Analysis conducted by SMSF software provider BGL Corporate Solutions has indicated that around 290,000 SMSFs will be affected by the events-...read more
- Tax advice exemption discrepancy driving away accountants
A discrepancy in ASIC’s treatment of licensed and unlicensed accountants in relation to the tax advice exemption instrument is driving acc...read more
- view all