There has been no change to the SMSF supervisory levy, in spite of several unlegislated SMSF measures which did not go ahead.
In December last year, the government cleared a backlog of 92 announced but unlegislated tax and superannuation measures.
Earlier this year, the SMSF Professionals’ Association of Australia’s Jordan George told SMSF Adviser that since these measures are no longer part of the “SMSF architecture”, it would be fair to assume the cost of administering the SMSF sector has fallen accordingly.
“There was a sense of expectation that the dramatic jump previously in the SMSF supervisory levy would see corrective action, bringing it back down to similar or lower levels due to this government inaction,” said the SMSF Academy’s managing director Aaron Dunn, following the Budget announcement.
“Unfortunately, this hasn’t occurred and, as an industry, more than half a million SMSFs continue to pay a levy without knowing the full costings of the SMSF sector,” he said.
“It seems unjust that trustees remain subject to a higher levy without further justification from government and the regulator, in particular when the basis for the rise was on [measures] now not proceeding. I think as an industry, we should be very disappointed with this outcome.”
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 22 Sep 2017ASIC permanently bans SMSF property spruikerBy Miranda Brownlee
- 22 Sep 2017Male SMSF investors ‘bigger risk takers’, says reportBy Staff Reporter
- 22 Sep 2017Lawyer flags subdivision trap with downsizer contributionsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 22 Sep 2017ATO urged to address ‘unknowns’ with LRBA reportingBy Miranda Brownlee
- 21 Sep 2017Lost and unclaimed super climbs to $18 billionBy Lara Bullock
- 21 Sep 2017ATO to release further guidance on reservesBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- Male SMSF investors ‘bigger risk takers’, says report
Male SMSF members tend to hold a greater share of assets in higher risk investments including domestic shares and property in comparison to ...read more
- Lawyer flags subdivision trap with downsizer contributions
SMSF trustees planning to make downsizer contributions have been warned that if a property has been subject to a partial sale in the 10 yea...read more
- ATO urged to address ‘unknowns’ with LRBA reporting
The ATO has been asked to provide further clarity around the events based reporting requirements for LRBA repayments, with the new requireme...read more
- view all