Industry debate surrounding SMSFs has become excessively heated, with SMSF trustees being misrepresented as a “dark force”, according to industry fund legalsuper.
Legalsuper’s chief executive, Andrew Proebstl, said public bickering about SMSFs is failing to serve any sector and is being viewed as “nothing more than a turf battle”.
“We are in a competitive market, an increasingly sophisticated market, where people have to choose the products that suit their circumstances,” Mr Proebstl told SMSF Adviser.
“I don’t think it’s the place of our fund or any other fund to tell people that our way is the best way to invest,” he said.
However, Mr Proebstl said statistics relating to SMSFs are also being exaggerated in the sector’s favour.
“You have people hysterically saying things like SMSFs are the fastest growing sector of the industry, and they are, but the rate of growth in funds under management for SMSFs is only one or two per cent above that of the industry funds in the last 10 years,” he said.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 26 May 2017Merged association poised to shake up member servicesBy Katarina Taurian
- 26 May 2017Positive exclusion as LRBA amendments introduced to ParliamentBy Miranda Brownlee
- 26 May 2017Midwinter releases superannuation calculatorsBy Staff Reporter
- 26 May 2017AMP pushes SMSF arm in broad growth strategyBy Staff Reporter
- 25 May 2017SMSF member bodies confirm mergerBy Katarina Taurian
- 24 May 2017SMSF loans facing ‘double whammy’, says brokerBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- Merged association poised to shake up member services
Under the united banner of SISFA, two newly merged representative bodies are looking to provide “unique” member benefits, including faci...read more
- Positive exclusion as LRBA amendments introduced to Parliament
The government yesterday introduced its proposed amendments for limited recourse borrowing arrangements into Parliament, but has not include...read more
- view all