The SMSF Professionals’ Association of Australia (SPAA) has today welcomed Labor’s indication that superannuation will be a “key policy area” in its shadow ministry.
The association’s chief executive, Andrea Slattery, said the appointment for Bernie Ripoll as shadow minister for financial services and superannuation is beneficial for the sector.
“The appointment of Bernie Ripoll … gives our sector a spokesperson that understands the portfolio, being well regarded for his previous work as parliamentary secretary to the treasurer and his parliamentary committee work,” Ms Slattery said.
“SPAA looks forward to closely working with Mr Ripoll to further improve the integrity and efficiency of the superannuation sector and improve the adequacy of Australian’s retirement savings, with a strong focus on working to ensure there is bipartisan support for Australia’s retirement incomes policy.”
Ms Slattery also indicated opposition leader, Bill Shorten, and shadow treasurer, Chris Bowen, both have “significant experience” in the superannuation and financial services portfolios.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 22 May 2017ATO sheds light on LRBA reporting requirementsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 22 May 2017Software provider releases super reform-focused servicesBy Jotham Lian
- 22 May 2017ATO poised to ramp up focus on key compliance areaBy Katarina Taurian
- 22 May 2017Caution advised on ATO’s new super balance toolBy Katarina Taurian
- 19 May 2017SMSF real-time reporting slated for FY2018-19By Miranda Brownlee and Katarina Taurian
- 19 May 2017Lawyer points to benefits of AFCA for SMSFsBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- Software provider releases super reform-focused services
BGL has announced the release of services, designed to deal with the 2016-17 superannuation reforms, that will help clients tackle the new C...read more
- ATO poised to ramp up focus on key compliance area
With 8 per cent of funds failing to meet their lodgement obligations for the last two years at least, the ATO is set to up its compliance fo...read more
- view all