A majority of respondents to an SMSF Adviser straw poll have indicated they are in favour of compulsory professional association membership for SMSF practitioners.
Of the 115 respondents to the question ‘Should professional association membership be a compulsory requirement of advising on SMSFs?’ 68.7 per cent answered ‘yes’, with the remaining 31.3 per cent answering ‘no’.
Both the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) and the SMSF Professionals’ Association of Australia (SPAA) told SMSF Adviser these results are “surprising”.
Executive general manager of the IPA Vicki Stylianou said while the Institute would welcome compulsory membership for SMSF advisers, it wouldn’t actively lobby the government for it.
She added that professional membership can enhance a practitioner’s value proposition because of the “extra layer of rigour” required to be a member.
“I think also it is a point of differentiation for those who are members. If you’re a member, certainly with one of the professional accounting bodies like the IPA, you are subjected to quite rigorous professional and ethical standards,” Ms Stylianou said.
SPAA’s education manager, Liz Ward, added that while the association is not mandating “third party enforcement”, it suggests professional association membership is a way to motivate practitioners to increase their standards of knowledge and competence.
“It wouldn’t be our line to say that [membership] should be categorically mandatory because it’s not the way [the SMSF sector] works. However, in terms of encouraging people to be more competent… that’s a fantastic thing.”
Some respondents to the straw poll have nevertheless suggested compuslory professional association membership would not be beneficial, with one respondent saying “paying a fee to another association wouldn't achieve anything”.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 26 Sep 2017ATO set to add new items to SMSF watch listBy Katarina Taurian
- 26 Sep 2017ATO tipped to scrutinise property development and unit trustsBy Jotham Lian
- 26 Sep 2017Statistics reveal full impact of events-based reportingBy Staff Reporter
- 26 Sep 2017Tax advice exemption discrepancy driving away accountantsBy Jotham Lian
- 26 Sep 2017Consultant flags strategies to negate complex ECPI calculationsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 25 Sep 2017Survey results point to major concerns with new reportingBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- ATO tipped to scrutinise property development and unit trusts
One big four accounting firm says the ATO has started to zoom in on property development in unit trusts being held in SMSFs and the calculat...read more
- Statistics reveal full impact of events-based reporting
Analysis conducted by SMSF software provider BGL Corporate Solutions has indicated that around 290,000 SMSFs will be affected by the events-...read more
- Tax advice exemption discrepancy driving away accountants
A discrepancy in ASIC’s treatment of licensed and unlicensed accountants in relation to the tax advice exemption instrument is driving acc...read more
- view all