Concerns from industry and retail funds about leakage to the self-managed sector are driving technology innovation in the financial services industry, according to a technology provider.
Speaking at a media briefing in Sydney last week, Martin Spedding, executive director of DST Bluedoor, the subsidiary of DST Systems that developed the AXA North platform, said clients in the retail and industry fund sector are seeking technology solutions to thwart the rise of SMSFs.
“SMSFs are of great interest to us and to our customers who are interested in looking at the leakage issues from their own funds to [the sector],” he said.
“The model portfolio and SMA-type capabilities that are emerging are in part addressing those leakage concerns.
“Investors are looking at [basis points], at fees and at the level of flexibility offered to them by their funds in terms of investment options and tax management.”
Mr Spedding said that previously technology providers viewed “unbundling” investment packages on managed funds to allow stock-picking and tax management control as an “administrative nightmare” but that the growth of SMSFs have made this technology a reality.
“Technology has been developed to compete with self-managed funds on the flexibility issue,” he said.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 26 Sep 2017ATO set to add new items to SMSF watch listBy Katarina Taurian
- 26 Sep 2017ATO tipped to scrutinise property development and unit trustsBy Jotham Lian
- 26 Sep 2017Statistics reveal full impact of events-based reportingBy Staff Reporter
- 26 Sep 2017Tax advice exemption discrepancy driving away accountantsBy Jotham Lian
- 26 Sep 2017Consultant flags strategies to negate complex ECPI calculationsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 25 Sep 2017Survey results point to major concerns with new reportingBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- ATO tipped to scrutinise property development and unit trusts
One big four accounting firm says the ATO has started to zoom in on property development in unit trusts being held in SMSFs and the calculat...read more
- Statistics reveal full impact of events-based reporting
Analysis conducted by SMSF software provider BGL Corporate Solutions has indicated that around 290,000 SMSFs will be affected by the events-...read more
- Tax advice exemption discrepancy driving away accountants
A discrepancy in ASIC’s treatment of licensed and unlicensed accountants in relation to the tax advice exemption instrument is driving acc...read more
- view all