Former would-be prime minister and Shartru Wealth Management chairman John Hewson has warned that the resistance of SMSF trustees towards professional advice could lead the sector to crisis point.
“With around 75 per cent of self-managed superfund trustees not using a financial adviser to help with their investment strategy we believe there is a looming crisis in Australia,” he said.
“Many are not adequately insured and may be retiring without a properly diversified investment portfolio,” he added.
The joint venture, reported by ifa sister title InvestorDaily today, will help bridge the advice gap for direct property investors, Dr Hewson said.
“We know many of these Australians are favourable to property investing, so we will be building on this to give clients a more balanced asset allocation and portfolio,” he said.
“We believe the match of the expertise of both our groups will be of significant benefit to our existing and prospective clients.”
The new venture – Resi Financial Services – will see Shartru-affiliated and qualified financial planners working alongside Resi’s existing mortgage specialists in retail franchises.
The project has been trialled iin the Sutherland franchise in suburban Sydney since February and will be rolled out progressively across the country over the next 12 months.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 26 Sep 2017ATO set to add new items to SMSF watch listBy Katarina Taurian
- 26 Sep 2017ATO tipped to scrutinise property development and unit trustsBy Jotham Lian
- 26 Sep 2017Statistics reveal full impact of events-based reportingBy Staff Reporter
- 26 Sep 2017Tax advice exemption discrepancy driving away accountantsBy Jotham Lian
- 26 Sep 2017Consultant flags strategies to negate complex ECPI calculationsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 25 Sep 2017Survey results point to major concerns with new reportingBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- ATO tipped to scrutinise property development and unit trusts
One big four accounting firm says the ATO has started to zoom in on property development in unit trusts being held in SMSFs and the calculat...read more
- Statistics reveal full impact of events-based reporting
Analysis conducted by SMSF software provider BGL Corporate Solutions has indicated that around 290,000 SMSFs will be affected by the events-...read more
- Tax advice exemption discrepancy driving away accountants
A discrepancy in ASIC’s treatment of licensed and unlicensed accountants in relation to the tax advice exemption instrument is driving acc...read more
- view all