There are some potential solutions for clients who jump the gun with SMSF property investing
Saturday morning: your clients, James and Marie, armed with some awareness of SMSFs attend an auction.
They are convinced the property will make a perfect investment for that SMSF they keep meaning to set up. They make the winning bid.
They then sign the contract and hand over a personal cheque for the deposit. On Monday morning, James and Marie call you requesting an SMSF be set up straight away.
The big issue
Unfortunately for James and Marie, there are some major issues with their ‘I’m sure it will all be fine’ approach to SMSF property investing.
To read the entire article, please click here.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 22 Sep 2017ASIC permanently bans SMSF property spruikerBy Miranda Brownlee
- 22 Sep 2017Male SMSF investors ‘bigger risk takers’, says reportBy Staff Reporter
- 22 Sep 2017Lawyer flags subdivision trap with downsizer contributionsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 22 Sep 2017ATO urged to address ‘unknowns’ with LRBA reportingBy Miranda Brownlee
- 21 Sep 2017Lost and unclaimed super climbs to $18 billionBy Lara Bullock
- 21 Sep 2017ATO to release further guidance on reservesBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- Male SMSF investors ‘bigger risk takers’, says report
Male SMSF members tend to hold a greater share of assets in higher risk investments including domestic shares and property in comparison to ...read more
- Lawyer flags subdivision trap with downsizer contributions
SMSF trustees planning to make downsizer contributions have been warned that if a property has been subject to a partial sale in the 10 yea...read more
- ATO urged to address ‘unknowns’ with LRBA reporting
The ATO has been asked to provide further clarity around the events based reporting requirements for LRBA repayments, with the new requireme...read more
- view all