Visis Private Wealth owner Chris Smith tells Miranda Brownlee how developing multiple in-house SMSF services has bolstered the firm’s success.
For Chris Smith a growing awareness of SMSFs and their benefits among the Visis Private Wealth client base was one of the driving factors behind his decision to develop the SMSF services side of the practice. With the average net wealth of clients increasing over time, the business had also begun using SMSFs on a more regular basis.
Mr Smith says SMSFs were originally seen as an obvious value proposition for both existing and new clients, providing an “effective vehicle for tax optimisation, protection of assets and greater control [over] investment decisions”.
As SMSF services became an increasingly viable offering, Chris’s wife Wendy joined the business as an accountant and set up the accounting arm of Visis Private Wealth. Initially, the firm outsourced its SMSF administration to an external provider.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 22 Sep 2017ASIC permanently bans SMSF property spruikerBy Miranda Brownlee
- 22 Sep 2017Male SMSF investors ‘bigger risk takers’, says reportBy Staff Reporter
- 22 Sep 2017Lawyer flags subdivision trap with downsizer contributionsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 22 Sep 2017ATO urged to address ‘unknowns’ with LRBA reportingBy Miranda Brownlee
- 21 Sep 2017Lost and unclaimed super climbs to $18 billionBy Lara Bullock
- 21 Sep 2017ATO to release further guidance on reservesBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- Male SMSF investors ‘bigger risk takers’, says report
Male SMSF members tend to hold a greater share of assets in higher risk investments including domestic shares and property in comparison to ...read more
- Lawyer flags subdivision trap with downsizer contributions
SMSF trustees planning to make downsizer contributions have been warned that if a property has been subject to a partial sale in the 10 yea...read more
- ATO urged to address ‘unknowns’ with LRBA reporting
The ATO has been asked to provide further clarity around the events based reporting requirements for LRBA repayments, with the new requireme...read more
- view all