The SMSF industry may still be in its infancy but, as James Mitchell reports, SMSFs are nothing new to Quantum Financial
CLAIRE MACKAY, who runs the boutique planning business Quantum Financial with her brother, Tim, was creating SMSFs back in 1999, while still at university.
“One of my jobs while I was finishing my law degree was actually creating SMSFs,” says Ms Mackay.
“In those days they were not well known,” she says. “Now you hear about them at a barbecue.”
When she first started working on SMSFs nobody knew what they were, Ms Mackay adds.
“When I said I created SMSFs for a living, people would give me a blank look,” she says.
It is really only in the past few years that SMSFs have entered the mainstream, as the industry continues to spawn new businesses and regulatory reforms.
“Coming from a law background, I’m fascinated with the structures of SMSFs,” says Ms Mackay.
“Whereas from my perspective, the first thing to do is kill all the lawyers,” jokes Mr Mackay.
This casual interplay between siblings adds a unique selling point to the Mackays’ service proposition: Quantum is a family business and has built upon a foundation of old-fashioned values for the past 20 years.
Their father, Bill Mackay, established Quantum Financial in 1994 but initially would not let his children join the firm, says Claire.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE SMSF ADVISER BULLETIN
- 25 Sep 2017Survey results point to major concerns with new reportingBy Miranda Brownlee
- 25 Sep 2017Audit firm reports ‘tsunami’ of CGT errorsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 25 Sep 2017AIST slammed for ‘prejudiced views’ on SMSFsBy Miranda Brownlee
- 22 Sep 2017ASIC permanently bans SMSF property spruikerBy Miranda Brownlee
- 22 Sep 2017Male SMSF investors ‘bigger risk takers’, says reportBy Staff Reporter
- 22 Sep 2017Lawyer flags subdivision trap with downsizer contributionsBy Miranda Brownlee
- view all
- Survey results point to major concerns with new reporting
A recent survey conducted by the SMSF Association reveals that less than half of SMSF practitioners are prepared for events-based reporting,...read more
- view all